One of the things that’s impossible to make without eggs is lemon curd. The closest I can get to that lovely tangy lemon taste is this lemon cream pie. When I made it I tipped it up accidently when tranferring to the fridge so it looks a little messy. It still tasted fine. Each time I make it we wonder if we could manage with less sugar as we’d prefer less sweetness and more tang, so the next time I make it I’ll reduce the sugar to 100 g. I used a biscuit base, but a cooked sweet pastry base would work well with this too. This is the recipe I used:
1 packet gluten-free biscuits (I used the Leda gingernut biscuits – 205 g)
90 g butter
Crush the biscuits with a food processor and add the melted butter. Press evenly into a glass pie dish. Don’t use a springform pan as the filling is runny and may soak through the biscuit base and leak out of the tin.
600 ml cream
2 teaspoons lemon zest
juice from 3 lemons (mine came to about 200 ml – it doesn’t have to be exact)
120 g sugar
1/4 cup hot water
2 teaspoons gelatine
1. Sprinkle the gelatine over the hot water and allow to soften while preparing the other ingredients.
2. In one saucepan heat the cream and lemon zest until warm but not boiling.
3. In the other saucepan heat the lemon juice with the sugar until the sugar dissolves. Don’t cook anymore as you don’t want a syrupy mix, you just want to dissolve the sugar.
4. Stir the gelatine until it is well mixed with the water then add to the lemon juice mixture and mix. Add in the heated cream and mix well to combine.
5. Pour into the biscuit base and refrigerate until set. It will take quite a while (I leave mine overnight – I think it would need at least 4 hours).