It’s really cooling down now in Brisbane and it’s the perfect time for these dumplings. I usually use butter in mine, as I can have butter, but they will work fine with dairy-free margarine. Here’s the recipe:
580 ml/g water
160 g brown sugar
135 g golden syrup
90 g butter (use Nuttelex or another dairy-free margarine for dairy-free)
225 g gluten-free self-raising flour
60 g butter (or Nuttelex for dairy-free)
2 teaspoons Orgran No Egg egg replacer (or EnerG egg-replacer) If you can eat eggs use 2 eggs and omit the water below.
80 ml water
85 ml milk (use rice mik for dairy-free)
1. Place all of the syrup ingredients into a large saucepan. I use a Dutch oven sized saucepan.
2. In a bowl, place the flour and egg-replacer and mix well. Rub in the butter/Nuttelex (or use a food processor) until the butter is incorporated.
3. Add the water and milk together and mix to a soft dough.
4. Divide the dough into quarters, then divide each quarter into 5 equal sized pieces. Roll into balls.
5. Bring the syrup ingredients to a boil, add the dumplings all at once and turn down the saucepan to a simmer.
6. Simmer the dumplings for 10 minutes, turning with a spoon half way through the cooking time.