These muffins are really just the eggless quiche recipe converted into a quiche cake recipe. The recipe is exactly the same (remember to omit bacon and cheese for vegan/dairy-free) but I just omit the pastry. I add 150 g of gluten-free self-raising (cake) flour to the mixture before cooking in muffin trays until brown and cooked through. They freeze and reheat well in the microwave. For the eggless quiche recipe it’s here.
I saw this vegan egg substitute product on Facebook a little while back and couldn’t wait to make an eggless quiche with it. I picked some of the product up at the Gluten Free Show in Brisbane two weeks ago and last week gave it a try. I have found that the recipes put out by the company on their website and Facebook video seem to vary in the quantity of ingredients used, so I tried my own and have published it here so you know that the quantities work well. Their version had mushrooms which I don’t like so I left them out. As I’m not vegan (I have an egg allergy) I included bacon and cheese in this quiche, but I really think that it would taste just as good without. Here’s the recipe:
1 gluten-free and vegan puff pastry sheet defrosted (I use the ones from the Gluten Free Bakery)
1 tablespoon olive oil
A few rashers of bacon (leave out for vegan)
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 medium zucchini, grated roughly
1 small carrot, grated roughly
1 tomato, sliced
50 g Orgran Vegan Easy Egg
1 teaspoon gluten-free plain flour
a handful of grated cheese (omit for vegan)
290 g water
- Place the pastry into a pie dish and cook at 160 C fan forced (180 C conventional) oven for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil and add the bacon and onion and fry for a few minutes. Add the zucchini and carrot and cook a further few minutes. Remove from heat.
- In bowl, mix the Easy Egg powder, plain flour and water together until smooth.
- Add the bacon, onion and vegetable mixture and mix well.
- Place into the pastry shell and top with cheese (if using) and then slices of tomato.
- Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes.