I’ve posted a strawberry mousse recipe previously but it was a gluten and egg free version which contained dairy. Strawberries are in season here in Brisbane at the moment and very cheap, so I thought I’d have a go making a mousse that was also dairy-free. It is not vegan as it contains gelatine. I recently bought some agar agar powder to have a go with but I’m not sure how to substitute it for the gelatine. I’m told that it will have a very different texture. I’ll have a try sometime. Here’s the recipe:
500 g (2 punnets) strawberries
60 g sugar
3 teaspoons gelatine powder
60 g hot water
250 coconut yogurt (check to make sure there are no gluten-containing thickeners, also check that it is dairy-free) I used the Cocobella brand that I bought from Woolworths.
300 ml coconut cream (refrigerated in the can)
- Sprinkle the gelatine over the hot water and allow to soften.
- Hull and chop strawberries and puree in a blender. In a Bellini thermocooker I put them in whole and do speed 8 for 10 seconds.
- Add the sugar to the puree and heat in a medium sized saucepan until the sugar is dissolved. In the Bellini do speed 1, 90 C for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the gelatine (speed 4, 6 seconds on the Bellini). Allow to cool.
- While the puree is cooling, whip the coconut cream with hand mixers until the cream doubles in volume. It won’t be as stiff as whipped dairy cream, but it will be aerated.
- Mix the yoghurt with the puree (speed 4, 5 seconds on the Bellini) and then fold in the whipped coconut cream.
- Refrigerate until set.