This cake recipe was published by Melinda from Melinda’s Gluten Free Goodies on her Facebook page. It was created by a lady called Robyn. The recipe is reproduced here with permission. Thank you ladies! After seeing and baking this recipe I’ve done a Google search and it seems there are a number of eggless cake recipes which use sweetened condensed milk. I’ve put the weights here as well as cup measures. I cooked it in a ring tin but really should have cooked it in a loaf pan (as suggested). I also shouldn’t have inserted the skewer so early – I think that’s why it’s a little deflated in the middle.
100 g butter
40 g sugar (2 metric tablespoons)
1 teaspoon vanilla
200 g sweetened condensed milk
125 ml milk
150 g (1 metric cup) Melinda’s gluten-free self raising flour*
12 g (1 metric tablespoon) cocoa
1. Preheat oven to 160 C fan-forced (about 180 C/350 F conventional)
2. Combine butter and sugar with vanilla.
3. Mix in the milk and condensed milk.
4. Mix in the flour.
5. Divide the mixture in half and add sifted cocoa to one half.
6. Spoon into prepared tin. Mix a little with a knife to get a marble effect. Use a loaf pan. (I used a ring pan)
7. Cook until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. I forgot to time it, but estimate that it took around 40 minutes in my fan-forced oven.
*Melinda’s gluten-free flour contains soy flour. It is available in some IGA stores in Australia or online (see web link above). If overseas, use a soy based flour as an alternative or you could try another gluten-free flour if allergic to soy. I used Melinda’s flour in this recipe.