I saw this vegan egg substitute product on Facebook a little while back and couldn’t wait to make an eggless quiche with it. I picked some of the product up at the Gluten Free Show in Brisbane two weeks ago and last week gave it a try. I have found that the recipes put out by the company on their website and Facebook video seem to vary in the quantity of ingredients used, so I tried my own and have published it here so you know that the quantities work well. Their version had mushrooms which I don’t like so I left them out. As I’m not vegan (I have an egg allergy) I included bacon and cheese in this quiche, but I really think that it would taste just as good without. Here’s the recipe:
1 gluten-free and vegan puff pastry sheet defrosted (I use the ones from the Gluten Free Bakery)
1 tablespoon olive oil
A few rashers of bacon (leave out for vegan)
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 medium zucchini, grated roughly
1 small carrot, grated roughly
1 tomato, sliced
50 g Orgran Vegan Easy Egg
1 teaspoon gluten-free plain flour
a handful of grated cheese (omit for vegan)
290 g water
- Place the pastry into a pie dish and cook at 160 C fan forced (180 C conventional) oven for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil and add the bacon and onion and fry for a few minutes. Add the zucchini and carrot and cook a further few minutes. Remove from heat.
- In bowl, mix the Easy Egg powder, plain flour and water together until smooth.
- Add the bacon, onion and vegetable mixture and mix well.
- Place into the pastry shell and top with cheese (if using) and then slices of tomato.
- Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes.