I’ve been doing some travelling this year, visiting Scotland and England. I was born in the UK so had a lovely time catching up with relatives as well as doing some sightseeing. The Scottish Highlands are absolutely amazing and I did see a ripple on Loch Ness so Nessie made an appearance just for me!
I was thrilled with finding the wonderful Schar bread in Tesco and Sainsbury stores. I really wish that our regular shops stocked it here in Australia. I was surprised to find that it was not so easy to obtain the Orgran No Egg (egg replacer) that I often use in cake recipes. Eventually I tracked it down in a Holland and Barrett store and I also saw it in a different health shop. So, if in the UK, check out the Holland and Barrett shops for it. This cake recipe was given to me 24 years ago, so I decided to make it gluten-free and vegan. The icing is made from cream cheese so if you want it vegan, have a look at substituting a vegan cream cheese and non-dairy margarine or just enjoy without icing. If not nut-free, a handful of walnuts thrown into the mixture go down well too.
190 g gluten-free self raising flour
20 g cocoa powder
110 g sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup grated carrot (weighs approximately 140 g)
225 g crushed pineapple
80 g water + 2 teaspoons Orgran No Egg (or use EnerG or use 2 eggs if you can have them)
115 g vegetable oil (I use sunflower oil)
- Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a bowl with a wooden spoon. Add the carrot and mix well again.
- Add all of the wet ingredients into the middle and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Spoon into a medium sized ring tin.
- Bake at 160 C fan-forced (180 C conventional) oven until a skewer inserted comes out not sticky. I found this took around 60 minutes.
Icing (not vegan)
- Mix 60 g cream cheese and 30 g soft butter together with electric beaters.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and beat again.
- Add 175 g sifted icing mixture (powdered sugar/confectioner’s sugar) – make sure if it has starch that it is cornstarch not wheat start.
- Add 2 teaspoons lemon juice and mix well.