Inspired by a recipe for Apple Oat Bars I’ve worked out this recipe for a gluten-free and vegan version which omits the eggs and oats. The original recipe is here. These bars got the thumbs up from my gluten-free son and my non-gluten-free husband as well. I thought they had a slightly bitter aftertaste due to the quinoa, so when making again I would probably increase the sugar a little, maybe to 70 g. Quinoa flakes are also quite expensive, so for a cheaper version I might try rice flakes, though I find that they come out a little crunchier than the quinoa ones when cooking. Here’s the recipe:
150 g dried apple slices
300 g quinoa flakes
50 g brown sugar
20 g psyllium husk powder (I use the Macro brand from Woollies)
1.5 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoons clove powder
pinch of salt
160 g full fat coconut milk
- I used my Bellini thermocooker but you could use a food processor instead. Place the dried apple in the jug and use speed 7 for 5 seconds and repeat. (Without a processor, chop the apples finely.)
- Add the dry ingredients and pulse to combine a couple of times (or combine well in a mixing bowl).
- Add the coconut milk and pulse twice to bring the mixture together (or mix well in the bowl).
- Place mixture into mini loaf silicone pans to about half a centimetre in height. Press down well.
- Cook in a fan-forced oven at 170 C for 15 minutes or until brown. Allow to cool a little before removing from pans onto a cooling rack.