A friend recently asked me if I could give advice on adjusting a cake recipe to make it gluten and dairy free. This was really easy to adjust and super easy to make. I’m not a huge fan of fruit cake but I liked this and my hubby (who loves fruit cake) was very pleased. Here’s the recipe:
300 g gluten-free self raising flour
1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
600 g dried fruit (I used sultanas as that’s what I had in the cupboard)
600 g milk of choice (I used coconut and almond milk, but just use coconut milk alone if there is a nut allergy to consider)
2 metric tablespoons (8 teaspoons) of oil of choice (I used canola)
- Mix the flour, baking powder and dried fruit together in a large bowl.
- Add the milk and oil and mix well to combine.
- Place into a greased and lined 20 cm square cake tin.
- Cook at 160 C fan-forced (180 C conventional) oven for approximately 60 minutes. Check with a skewer to see if it’s cooked. It’s better to be a little under rather than overcooked and dry.
- Cool and cut into slices. Eat with butter (or dairy-free butter) if desired.
I’d suggest freezing leftover cake as it tastes good for a couple of days but then will dry out.