Strawberries are starting to be in season here and last Friday they were very cheap at my local shop, so it was time to pull out an old recipe. I made the mistake of doubling the recipe but forgetting to double some ingredients! It still worked out fine, but I used only 2 teaspoons of gelatine and I think it really needed 3. I know that some followers wouldn’t like to use gelatine, but you could perhaps try agar agar instead. I keep meaning to give agar agar a try one day to see how it compares with gelatine. Meanwhile, here’s the recipe:
500 g (2 punnets) strawberries
40 ml orange juice
40 g sugar
3 teaspoons gelatine
60 ml hot water
250 g Greek yogurt (or natural yoghurt) – check to make sure there are no gluten-containing thickeners
300 ml thickened (whipping) cream – again, check to make sure there are no gluten-containing thickeners
1. Sprinkle the gelatine over the hot water and allow to sit to soften.
2. Hull and chop strawberries and puree in a blender.
3. Add the sugar and orange juice to the strawberry puree in a medium sized saucepan and heat over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in the gelatine. Allow to cool.
4. Whisk in the yoghurt.
5. Beat the cream until the soft peak stage then fold into the mixture.
6. Refrigerate until set. This will take at least a few hours.