The weather is hot in Brisbane today but, when it cooled a little this afternoon, I managed to make this date loaf without wilting too much:
115 g chopped dates
150 g dairy-free margarine (I used Nuttelex – for non-dairy-free you could use butter)
115 g brown sugar
290 ml water
225 g gluten-free self-raising flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons No Egg egg replacer (or use EnerG). If you can eat eggs use 2 eggs and reduce the water volume to 250 ml
60 g chopped walnuts (optional)
1. Place the dates, margarine, brown sugar and water into a medium sized saucepan and place over medium heat. Once it has come to the boil, remove from the heat and allow to cool.
2. Combine the flour, cinnamon, egg replacer and walnuts in a bowl.
3. Add the cooled date mixture to the dry ingredients.
4. Place into a greased loaf tin. For this amount of mixture I used a 21 x 11 cm loaf pan and a 14 x 7 cm mini-loaf pan.
5. Bake at 170 C fan-forced (190 C/375 F conventional oven) until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. For the small tin it took 20 minutes and the larger pan took approximately 35 minutes.