I saw this fabulous picture on Facebook recently and just had to have a go at making something like it. I haven’t followed the recipe given there but used one that I’ve had for years. Yummy, chewy brownies with strawberry cream!
185 g chocolate (I used milk chocolate)
125 g butter
80 ml water
175 g caster sugar
150 g gluten-free plain flour
2 teaspoons Orgran No Egg (or use EnerG) – If you can eat eggs use 2 eggs and omit the water above
1 cup walnuts (optional – I didn’t use them this time)
1. Grease and line a 20 cm square cake pan.
2. Melt butter and chocolate with the water over low heat.
3. Stir in sugar and mix well. (If using eggs, add them here)
4. Sift the flour and No Egg powder together.
5. Stir in flour and walnuts and mix really well to avoid lumps of flour.
6. Pour into the pan and bake at 160 C fan-forced (180 C/350F conventional oven) for 40-45 minutes.
7. When it has cooled to room temperature, remove the brownie and place on a cutting board. Cut out hearts using a heart cutter. Place the hearts onto a plate and refrigerate to become firmer. Keep the leftover bits for nibbles.
1. Whip 200 ml of thickened cream until quite thick. Blend 100 g of strawberries and mix in with the cream (reserve a little for the plate if you like).
2. Place some strawberry puree on the serving plate. Place 3 hearts onto the plate. Pipe strawberry cream onto the hearts.
3. Place a heart brownie on top and dust with icing sugar.