300 g gluten-free self-raising flour
215 g raw sugar
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
40 g dessicated coconut
1/2 metric cup chopped walnuts (optional – I left them out this time because my nut-allergic daughter is visiting tomorrow)
2 cups grated carrot (mine weighed 250 g)
250 ml (210 g) vegetable oil
3 teaspoons Orgran No Egg (or EnerG) mixed with 120 ml water (If you can eat eggs, use 3 eggs)
1. Mix together the flour, sugar, mixed spice, cinnamon and coconut in a large bowl.
2. Add the grated carrot and mix into the dry ingredients.
3. Add the oil and egg-replacer mixture and mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon.
4. Place into muffin cases (about 1/2 full).
5. Bake at 160 C fan-forced (180 C/350 F conventional oven) for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
I’m not usually a fan of icing but these cakes taste great with a cream cheese icing (this part is not dairy-free):
Icing: Mix 125 g cream cheese, 1 teaspoon vanilla and 60 g soft butter together until well combined. Add in 350 g of sifted icing mixture and 20 ml of lemon juice.