This cake recipe was a modification of a recipe a friend gave me a few years back. The original recipe has dried apricots in it, but I thought I’d take the basic recipe and turn it into a spice cake. It’s so easy as the base recipe has only four ingredients. If there’s a spice on my list that you don’t like, just leave it out.
150 g gluten-free self raising flour
90 g dessicated coconut
115 g caster sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
250 ml milk (or rice milk for dairy-free)
1. Place all of the dry ingredients into a bowl and mix well.
2. Add the milk and mix well.
3. Pour into a loaf tin or 3 mini-loaf tins.
4. Cook in an oven at 160 C (fan-forced) or 180 C/350 F conventional until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
5. In the mini-loaf pans it took around 30 minutes to cook.
This cake is best eaten on the day it’s cooked. It is okay on day 2, but the keeping quality may be improved by adding a little oil.